ATHLETE OF THE MONTH – NOVEMBER 2016
Congratulations to Ian Martin, AOTM for November 2016. Well done!!!
Ian wins the award for winning the M50-54 age group at the TreX Snowy Mountains Cross Triathlon World Championships.
1. Red Dog AOTM, how do you feel about that?
Blessed ! I've placed the AOTM award top spot on my cv. (I think I still have one ?)
2. Are you the best athlete in your family?
Trick question as both my brothers were slightly dropped at birth. They have done their best with what was given to them. Mark was national level as a younger athlete but has aged poorly and my other brother David just ran out of talent from the age of 4....
3. How much training do you do at the moment?
I generally like to undertrain and enjoy sport with friends. This usually means a morning ride or run and occasional lunchtime swims when work allows.
4. Least favourite session and why?
None. If its not fun you won't see me there !
5. If you had one wish, what would it be?
After curing poverty, global warming etc etc... I'd like to be able to sing like sting, play my guitar like David Gilmour, kitesurf like Keahi de Aboitiz..... otherwise life is awesome.
6. Favourite motivational quote?
The busiest person always seems to have time for others, fits more in than everyone else and still gets the job done the best.
7. The one bit of advice I’d give to a newbie is… Stick with reddog. He imparts professional training techniques in a relaxed friendly manner that will speed up your performance and help you achieve better results than you could have imagined.
8. My next race is… Probably XTERRA Rotorua NZ cross triathlon April (said to have the worlds best MTB course) to qualify for the world champs in Maui 2017
9. I couldn’t do what I do without… the support of my many friends and wonderful family... all amazing inspirational characters
10. What do you do outside of triathlons?
If I'm not doing surgery - which I love, then my passion is to Surf , Kitesurf and MTB in exotic locations
11. What’s your one guilty pleasure?
Surfing, kitesurfing and MTBing in exotic locations :)
12. What’s your nickname?
smarto (smarter marto) or just marto
A list of all AOTM recipients can be found here