ATHLETE OF THE MONTH – JUNE 2018
Congratulations to Fiona Harding, AOTM for June 2018.
Fiona wins the award for her outstanding race at Cairns Ironman to win her age category and secure a spot to Kona. Aloha Fiona!
1. Red Dog AOTM, how do you feel about that?
A bit disappointed that my husband beat me to it – I will be constantly reminded. But also thrilled.
2. What attracted you to the club?
When I moved to Brisbane I was looking for a swim squad. I had no idea what Red Dog was and I remember telling Trent I wanted to do all my other training on my own! 2 years later and I hate training without the squad!!
3. How much training do you do at the moment?
As much as my program tells me to do. It’s my first week back after Cairns so pretty easy at the moment.
4. Least favourite session and why?
Core strength sessions. Mind you I only do a 5 minute you tube video a few times a week…
5. If you had one wish, what would it be?
To compete at the Olympics (any sport!).
6. Favourite motivational quote?
Every dog has its day.
7. The one bit of advice I’d give to a newbie is…
Don’t let anyone limit how good you can be – even when you get older. When I first started racing, I was at the very very back but I still loved it and was determined to get better.
8. My next race is…
9. I couldn’t do what I do without…
Red Dog of course - I spent 15 years trying to work out how to run faster and Trent solved this in 6 weeks. Also my husband who looks after the kids, cleans, and cooks while I disappear training (I do let him out for the Valley Pool lunchtime squads and one or two bike time trials a year!).
Big shout out to Cam’s superb bike mechanic who saved me in Cairns!!
Finally, the support from the club has been amazing, not just on race day, but every time we were out there doing big sessions in the lead up to Cairns.
10. What do you do outside of triathlons?
11. What’s your one guilty pleasure?
I eat disgusting amounts of chocolate. Sometimes I wonder how thin I’d be if I cut it out…
12. Who’s your favourite sparring partner in the squad and why?
A list of all AOTM recipients can be found here