ATHLETE OF THE MONTH – MAY 2018
Congratulations to Dave Savoff, AOTM for May 2018.
Dave wins the award for winning his age group at Byron Bay Triathlon. Well done!
1. Red Dog AOTM, how do you feel about that?
Stoked! It’s been a long time coming...it’s been a bumpy road, but I’m glad Redman finally caved in to all those anonymous nominations.
2. What attracted you to the club?
RDTT came with big recommendations, but the flexibility in sessions & in-depth programs are second to none...people you train with aren’t too bad either, everyone’s always up for a laugh!
3. How much training do you do at the moment?
Currently about 7-9 sessions per week (2 bike, 2/3 run & 3/4 swim)...I’m nearly at breaking point where I’m starting to daydream about a hangover.
4. Least favourite session and why?
Any swim set that involves bands...bands should deadset be illegal, and I still think Redman gets a kick out of people drowning in the pool...I question the sport a lot when I see bands lying there before the set.
5. If you had one wish, what would it be?
Other than being able to turn back time (don’t ask) or being ridiculously wealthy (obviously to conquer world poverty)...it'd be to swim like Josh Amberger, ride like Lionel Sanders and run like Patrick Lange...yes, this would make me the World Record holder for Ironman in the history of the sport and would no doubt make me quite wealthy (to obviously fight world poverty quicker).
6. Favourite motivational quote?
"Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever the hell you were gonna do anyway."
- Robert Downey Jr.
7. The one bit of advice I’d give to a newbie is…
Be patient, listen, learn and never ever get on the booze bus back from Gundi.
8. My next race is…
9. I couldn’t do what I do without…
Coffee, I suppose my mate Ned who’s trained with me since day one, and a good goal at the end (obviously followed by a good after party to celebrate).
10. What do you do outside of triathlons?
Work in Real Estate and enjoy heading to the beach.
11. What’s your one guilty pleasure?
A few beers & Lefty’s on Caxton Street.
12. Who’s your favourite sparring partner in the squad and why?
A list of all AOTM recipients can be found here